Thursday, January 13, 2011

just be-ing, one month

The meaning of time has a different definition depending on what phase of life you are in. My true concept of time began during my college years when I first became responsible for managing my own affairs. College time was measured by semesters, dining hall hours and 3 a.m. bed times. My concept of the world was measured in 15 week increments and how much fun I could get away with (work hard and party harder being the motto). Soon there after came the smack-in-the-face reality of the working world. Alarm clocks before sun rise, coffee as a mandatory additive and the hum-drum of recycling through dress pants that were always wrinkled because I was too lazy to iron them. Monday through Friday, work then dinner then dishes: wash, rinse, repeat. OK don't get me wrong life before this Mom thing also had some fun gin & tonics on the weekends as well ;) Needless to say for the last month my definition of time has become newly defined. For the most part I have no concept of what day it is. I'm not patiently waiting for the weekend to arrive or dreading Monday morning creeping up on me. Right now I am on baby-time and that's all about eating, sleeping and being cared for completely (around the clock, every three hours - phew!). Babies have no time, they just are...they just "be" if you will. And since I'm around for this ride I can honestly say that this "be"-ing: sitting, marinating and soaking in a lack of Monday through Friday is such a beautiful breath of fresh air! Unfortunately, once May comes I won't be able to enjoy such luxury, however, in the meanwhile I'll try to enjoy each second.

So anyways, speaking of baby-time I surprise myself by saying that Elias is now one month old! I never before understood why new mothers feel the urge to announce each month that their child is older until of course it was mine...I guess you have to walk in those shoes to get it.

Mama and baby time...


Just be-ing...




...and yes the quilt is embroidered with the name Elijah Andrew (a gift) we think it's funny and still picture worthy! Ringo likes it too.

And of course happy one month glamor shots! Nice camo pants :)




2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Leslie! I'm really enjoying your writings. Keep it up. Those early days of motherhood bring back alot of wonderful memories. I have not thought about what that "time" was like for along time. In a month or so you will feel like you have come up to the surface. Your photos are great. Give our love to Mo and the baby. I do not have a google account so I used my son Chris's. Mary Lou Cooper

Robyn DeGaetano said...

What a beautiful baby!! It really IS amazing how quickly you find yourself saying those cliches - "time goes by so fast!", "They grow up too quickly!", "where did the time go?!", and so on - once you become a mommy! People say those things for a reason - they are so true! I love the picture of you and Eli together - soo sweet...