Sunday, March 13, 2011

coming full circle


Every year around this time (the end of March) I begin to carry around this angst-y feeling in the pit of my stomach. I don't know if it's the serious beating one takes during the dark cold winter, low vitamin D levels or the feeling of a "year in review" (as my birthday approaches) but without fail there is this feeling of heaviness that presents itself. I begin to think about what happened last year at this time and how things have changed since then. Was this year what I expected it to be? Did I do the things I was planning to do? Am I happy? The feeling of needing to come full circle is palpable. And though there is this bit of sadness that I have to tease out - there is also this excitement that things will be new again. Like the seasons change from winter to spring, I believe that each year around our birthday's the universe kicks up a little dust and asks us to spend some time in reflection. I'm not going to sit here and unearth everything that my reflection has brought to the surface - but I will share that turning 30 by far was one of the best things that happened to me! It's just not that Elias was brought into my life, it was the change that came with becoming a parent and growing a family of my own. The best I can describe it is like a hand that fits perfectly into a glove. Honestly, I don't know what Mo and I were waiting for! In addition, I believe that finally deciding to pursue a graduate degree in a career that I've been destined for since handing out advice in the school yard - but most importantly allowing myself to go after what I see as my calling - is also like a perfectly fitting glove (possibly for the other hand). And yet somehow these "perfect" fits leave me full of questions and worries. So here I am now...trying to figure out how to put these two hands together. Maybe that's what turning 31 will be about?!?

OK, enough of the deep thoughts by Jack Handy. I know why your here and it's not my random hippie-like ramblings! It's for my so-damn-cute-he-should-be-the-next-Gerber-baby :) So without further distraction, here are some pictures from the month in review!!

First, we traveled to Pennsylvania so that the Hereba's could meet there newest member! I would like to entitle these photos: happily hereba, literally....ummm talk about genetics! Not only was everybody so happy to meet Elias, it was a happy time to spend soaking in our Egyptian roots. All I have to say is this: there's a reason that it was the Egyptians that built the pyramids.

Here is Sherif, Mo, Ahmed, Elias and Jobair

...and now here's Jay...constantly competing with Mo as he grows taller and taller!

For another lession in Elias's heritage...we didn't quite make it downtown for the legendary Syracuse St. Patrick's Day parade (aka booze and green beads) but we did have a really fun afternoon in the great and slowly warming outdoors! Ringo was soooooo happy to be back in front of the camera! What a pose! However, we didn't take any pictures at Grandpa's today but we were wearing green and eating corn beef and cabbage in true spirit.

Lucky me! Not only am I Irish but I have a good looking group of boys in tow!


And finally, in photo-happy tradition I'd like to document the THREE MONTHS mark! Not only is he smiling more often and finding his sense of humor - he's also spending a lot of time being very chatty!! Apparently he's got a lot to say and I'm anxiously awaiting to know what that is. Also, he recently found his hands which he couldn't stop looking at.



Imagine how cool it is to discover your own hands...



His eyes are getting so blue!


And finally...Mr. Big & Hungry couldn't take the camera anymore and decided to eat his fingers!

4 comments:

Robyn DeGaetano said...

I don't know - I kind of like your hippie-type ramblings. :)

Jill Petrush Rogers said...

Oh...I'm so in love...with ALL of you!! I just want to give you and Mo great big hugs and snuggle up with Elias!! Spring is coming!! Let's meet somewhere and play outside!

Anonymous said...

"imagine discovering your own hands" - just think, every day you will get to experience the world through HIS eyes and it will all be new again! (ok now I sound like a hippie!).

Excellent post, as I share an April "spring" birthday I sort of feel like it's the REAL new year!

-Linds

Sarah said...

<3 the deep thoughts! Makes me realize that it has been too long since we have been in each others company. I just had a flashback of you playing guitar freshman year at LaSalle :)